Facts About Kids
In Snohomish County...
Children and Youth
- 11% of families with children under the age of 18 live in poverty, but in families with a female head of the household, the poverty rate jumps to 27%.
- A child in Washington is abused or neglected every hour. Currently, there are 750 children in foster care in Snohomish County.
- More quality childcare is needed. There are three children for each licensed childcare slot available for ages birth to five.
- 24% of Snohomish County high school students do not graduate within four years. County-wide, 7% of adults 25 and older don’t have a high school diploma or GED.
- Investing in kids pays off. Research shows for every tax dollar invested in early care and education, $16 is returned to society through better graduation rates, workforce readiness and reduced crime.
- 26% of 4th graders did not meet the Washington State standards in reading.