Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service
Monday, Jan. 19, 2015
This year, over 300 teen and adult volunteers chose to make this year’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service a day “on” rather than a day “off.”
Marking its sixth year, the service event featured 14 projects throughout Snohomish County. Projects ranged from planting trees and park clean ups, to assisting food banks and senior centers.
This annual day of service is a partnership between United Way of Snohomish County, YMCA of Snohomish County, Catholic Community Services, Senior Corps-RSVP and United Parcel Service.
For details on the event, including feeds from Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, visit our Tagboard.
Students volunteered from many area schools, including Archbishop Murphy, Cascade, Edmonds Woodway, Everett, Glacier Peak, Jackson, Kamiak, Lakewood, Mariner, Marysville Arts and Tech, Marysville-Getchell, Meadowdale, Snohomish and Sultan High Schools, as well as 10th Street and Immaculate Conception Middle Schools.
This year’s projects
- Home and yard chore assistance in Everett and Marysville through Volunteer Chore Services and in Marysville through Quilceda Community Services
- Cleaning the Marysville Food Bank
- Trail Maintenance and general cleaning at Jennings Park in Marysville and Forterra-Thornton Sullivan Park in Everett
- Organizing and cleaning at Hopeworks and KSER in Everett
- Making animal treats and blankets with clients at Full Life Care
- Making cards for seniors and veterans at United Way in Everett
- Planting trees for salmon ecosystems at Sound Salmon Solutions in Lake Stevens
- Organizing donations at the Matthew’s House thrift store in Monroe, St. Vincent de Paul in Lynnwood and Fabulously Frugal Thrift Store (operated by the Snohomish Senior Center) in Snohomish
What is MLK Day of Service?
Non-profit organizations around Snohomish County are hosting projects on this one day in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s life and mission. Sign up for a project that interests you! Volunteer with a group or sign up as an individual and meet new people! Get volunteer hours and get the “warm, fuzzy feeling” from helping others. Find other volunteer opportunities on our Youth United page!
Contact Jessica Gaitan at email@example.com or 425.374.5530.
Want to learn more about Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service or about
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.?