Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service
Monday, Jan. 18, 2016
This year, teen and adult volunteers chose to make this year's Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service a day "on" rather than a day "off."
Marking its seventh year, the service event featured 14 projects throughout Snohomish County. Projects ranged from planting trees and park clean ups, to assisting food banks and senior centers.
This annual day of service is a partnership between United Way of Snohomish County, YMCA of Snohomish County, Catholic Community Services and Senior Corps-RSVP.
For details on the event, including feeds from Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, visit our Tagboard.
Students volunteered from many area schools, including Archbishop Murphy, Cascade, Crossroads, Edmonds-Woodway, Everett, Everett Community College, Granite Falls, Kamiak, Lake Stevens, Lynnwood, Maryvile-Getchell, Marysville-Pilchuck, Mariner, Meadowdale, Monroe, Snohomish, Stanwood as well as YMCA’s Everett, Marysville and Monroe My Achievers Program (MAP).
This Year's Project Hosts
- Home and yard assistance in Snohomish through Volunteer Chore Services and in Marysville through Quilceda Community Services
- Shopping assistance and food donation sorting at the Marysville Food Bank and at the Everett VOA Food Bank
- Trail Maintenance and general cleaning at Jennings Park with Marysville Parks & Recreations and at Howarth Park in Everett through the Green Everett Partnership
- Organizing and cleaning in Monroe at Take the Next Step, Youth for Christ and Matthew’s House and in Lynnwood at Feral Cat Spay/Neuter Project
- Helping Seniors at the Snohomish Senior Center
- Planting trees for salmon ecosystems at Sound Salmon Solutions in Lake Stevens
- Organizing donations at St. Vincent de Paul thrift store in Lynnwood and school supply donations at Sister School’s warehouse in Mukilteo
What is MLK Day of Service?
Non-profit organizations around Snohomish County are hosting projects on this one day in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s life and mission. Sign up for a project that interests you! Volunteer with a group or sign up as an individual and meet new people! Get volunteer hours and get the "warm, fuzzy feeling" from helping others. Find other volunteer opportunities on our Youth United page!
Contact Jessica Gaitan at email@example.com or 425.374.5530.
Want to learn more about Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service or about
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.?