The Varsity Letter in Community Service Program
United Way of Snohomish County partners with local school districts to recognize high school students who have made an exceptional commitment to community service (145 volunteer hours in a calendar year).
School Year Application Materials
Benefits of Varsity Letters in Community Service (VLCS)
Set and achieve a challenging goal for volunteering! You can list your VLCS as a unique and outstanding achievement in your college, scholarship, and job applications. Unlike national awards for volunteering, your VLCS is connected to your high school, just like a varsity letter for athletics, academics or music.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Complete the VLCS Application in full, and submit on or before April 1, 2016.
- Be a student in grades 9-12 in a Snohomish County school offering the Varsity Letter in Community Service
- Complete at least 145 hours of community service (which cannot include hours used to fulfill graduation or class credit requirements) between April 1, 2016 and March 31, 2017
- Complete at least 45 of the 145 hours of community service in United Way-aligned volunteer opportunities (refer to Varsity Letter Frequenty Asked Questions for more information)
- The remaining 100 hours should be completed at a 501(c)(3) non profit organization
- Participate in at least one school-related activity (no minimum hours requirement)
- All volunteer activities must be verifiable (United Way verifies 100% of submitted volunteer hours)
- Meet the 2.0 GPA requirement
Detailed guidelines for the VLCS can be found in the VLCS application and Frequently Asked Questions, which can be downloaded above. If you have any questions, please contact Jessica Gaitan, Volunteer Engagement Manager, email@example.com or 425.374.5530.
Participating High Schools
The following school districts have elected to offer the VLCS. However, check with your specific high school or contact us to see if it is one of the participating schools. Any Snohomish County high school is eligible to join the program.
- Arlington School District
- Darrington School District
- Edmonds School District
- Everett School District
- Granite Falls School District
- Lake Stevens School District
- Lakewood School District
- Marysville School District
- Monroe School District
- Mukilteo School District
- Snohomish School District
- Stanwood School District
- Sultan School District