AARP Foundation Tax-Aide acquires United Way of Snohomish County Tax Prep Program
What is AARP Tax-Aide?
AARP is known for its robust and effective tax preparation program that has been around for more than 50 years. The service uses trained and IRS-certified volunteers and helps more than 2.5 million taxpayers nationwide each year. AARP filed tax returns with assistance from volunteers by appointment only and included scanning taxpayer’s ID, social security cards and documents, saving them to a secure location, preparing the returns at tax counselors' homes, providing the taxpayer a paper copy of their return the following week, and then e-filing their return.
You don’t have to be an AARP member to take advantage of their Tax Aide service, and there’s no age requirement to get tax help from IRS-certified volunteers. Visit AARP Tax-Aide for more information.
Why are you no longer running your own Tax Prep Program?
- More free- to low-cost tax prep services are available now than a decade ago, including online options that many households use.
- We had a steady decline in the number of volunteers interested in the program year after year.
- The number of clients coming to our tax sites had also seen a steady decline every year.
- Funding for the program itself, including additional services needed at sites (technology, translation, logistics, staff, etc.) was no longer dependable or available.
- The uncertain COVID-19 environment limited our budget and staff capacity.
What happens to the families and individuals who used to come to United Way’s tax sites?
Are there other United Way tax sites open nearby?
United Way of King County may have availability at some of their in-person sites. Please check their website for details.
Where else can I get my taxes done?
United Ways across the country offer a free online tax option at www.myfreetaxes.com. A quick, easy, and free online tool, it is available to anyone who meets the eligibility requirements that you can find in their helpful Frequently Asked Questions.
United Way of King County Tax Resources
United Way of King County has a page dedicated to answering any questions you may have about MyFreeTaxes.com that is available in 26 different languages.
The IRS also has a place to search for any additional sites in neighboring counties.
I need a copy of a previous year's return. Where can I get one?
Visit AARP Tax-Aide for more information.