AARP Foundation Tax-Aide acquires United Way of Snohomish County Tax Prep Program
What is AARP Tax-Aide?
With tax site locations throughout Snohomish County, AARP is known for its robust and effective tax preparation program that has been around for more than 50 years. The service uses trained and IRS-certified volunteers and helps more than 2.5 million taxpayers nationwide each year.. Due to COVID restrictions, many of AARP’s traditional sites will not open this year and unfortunately, the number of taxpayers Tax-Aide has the capacity to serve is limited.
Currently all appointments for Snohomish County are booked through April 15 but you may be able to submit a request online for assistance or inquire with AARP about the May extension.
All tax returns will be filed virtually with assistance from volunteers by appointment only and includes: scanning taxpayer’s ID, social security cards and documents, saving them to a secure location, preparing the returns at counselor’s homes, providing taxpayer a paper copy of their return the following week and then e-filing their return. You don’t have to be an AARP member, and there’s no age requirement to get tax help from IRS-certified volunteers. Visit AARP Tax-Aide for more information.
Why are you no longer running your own Tax Prep Program?
- More free- to low-cost tax prep services are available now than a decade ago, including online options that many households use.
- We have had a steady decline in the number of volunteers interested in the program year after year.
- The number of clients coming to our tax sites has also seen a steady decline every year.
- Funding for the program itself, including additional services needed at sites (technology, translation, logistics, staff, etc.) is no longer dependable or available.
- The uncertain COVID-19 environment has limited our budget and staff capacity.
What happens to the families and individuals who used to come to United Way’s tax sites?
Are there other United Way tax sites open nearby?
No. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, there are no in-person tax sites that we are aware of but online options are available.
Where else can I get my taxes done?
United Ways across the country offer a free online tax option at www.myfreetaxes.com. A quick, easy, and free online tool, it is available to anyone who meets the eligibility requirements that you can find in their helpful Frequently Asked Questions.
United Way of King County Tax Resources
United Way of King County has a page dedicated to answering any questions you may have about MyFreeTaxes.com that is available in 26 different languages.
The IRS also has a place to search for any additional sites in neighboring counties.
I need a copy of a previous year's return. Where can I get one?
Visit AARP Tax-Aide for more information.